Thursday, February 13, 2014

Extremely Long-Winded Skincare Routine For Someone of the Pizza-face Variety


Let's start with my skin type/concerns:
  • Sensitive
  • Acne-prone
  • Discolouration (Redness/Dark Spots/Scarring)
  • Dehydrated/combination/oily in the T-zone
  • All around demonic



My skin has always been a struggle for me, and thanks to makeup I can paint myself a new face everyday to partially hide my hideous mug.



Seriously. If you see my naked face: you will die in 7 days. I think they made a movie loosely based on this.



This is my current routine from made-up face to ready-for-bed. It seems like a lot of products, but I don’t use all of these in one go. Most are alternatives and I use one item from each step.



Step 1: Makeup Removal


Products:


  • Nuxe Paris Eau Demaquillante Micellaire (or any other micellar cleansing water ex.) Bioderma, Roc, Marcelle, etc…)
  • Shu Uemura Cleansing Oils



I like oils because it’s very nurturing and you can massage your face while you gently remove the makeup. The micellar waters are great because it is literally the consistency of water and is amazing at removing any type of makeup. This is especially great for eye makeup that takes a chisel to remove. I use the oil if I’m diligent and the cleansing water with cotton pads when I’m super lazy.



Step 2: Deep Cleansing


Products: 
   


  • Shiseido Lucent Brightening Cleansing Foam
  • Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser for Dry Skin
  • Clarisonic Mia


I downgraded from the Shiseido to Cetaphil because the Shiseido was drying (but woooo does it ever foam like a mofo) and Cetaphil was cheaper, nurturing and a cult classic. I think it’s a good cleanser but a GREAT cleanser with the Clarisonic.



Step 3: Exfoliation


Products: 


  • Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant



This product is interesting: it is a white powder and looks like laundry detergent. With very wet hands, you pour about ½ a tsp into your palms and rub until it foams and is frothy. You then massage your face for 1 minute. Rinse. And Viola! Smooth face. I like this because it isn’t rough like the typical scrubs that can further scratch/rip your face off or rupture/disturb a sensitive face with active blemishes.



Step 4: De-toxify/Masks


Products: 



  • LUSH fresh face masks
  • Murad Clarifying Mask (for acne)



As of late, my skin has been a total disaster so I’ve been diligently using masks to help it calm down. Otherwise, I would use a mask once or twice a week so I can pretend to be like a real grown-up lady.



Thanks to Agnes, I find the LUSH masks great because:

  • way easier to remove than traditional clay masks; thus, less rubbing and disturbing sensitive skin
  • brightening
  • skin softening, very soothing and doesn’t further aggravate potential blemishes
  • fairly cheap compared to $40+ tubs


Step 5: Toning Lotion


Products: 










  • Caudalie Beauty Elixir
  • Clarins Toning Lotion - Normal/Dry Skin



Caudalie: refreshing, tingly, tightens skin but fairly $$$$ for what it is


Clarins: great to restore some moisture for super dehydrated skin. I apply either with a cotton pad or pat into face with hands 'cuz I'm fancy like that



Step 6: Serums


Products: 



  • Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair
  • Caudalie Vinoperfect Radiance Serum
  • Lancôme Visionnaire Advanced Skin Corrector



I like serums because it’s silky and glides right over my skin without having to re-arrange my face. I like to choose ones that repair skin/correct darkness of scars. I’m not sure about the effectiveness of these, but it helps to soften the texture of my skin and I feel I should at least try to repair the scars from past blemishes.



Step 7: Moisturize


Products: 



  • Benefit Cosmetics Total Moisture Facial Cream
  • Shiseido Bio-Performance Advanced Super Revitalizing Cream
  • Josie Maran Argan Oil
  • Dior Crème de Rose Lip Balm
  • Philosophy Eye Cream



Benefit makes a rich emollient cream for my super dehydrated skin. Yes, it is thick, but sometimes I mix a few drops of serum into the cream to loosen it up, or even a drop or 2 of argan oil for extra moisture. 

I like the Shiseido because it’s even more emollient than the Benefit, but the price is absolutely psychotic (I am currently using a sample). The Philosophy eye cream is simply out of convenience (also another sample). Most eye creams are very similar unless you shell out the big big bucks. 

I smooth these creams onto my face after warming it between my fingers and gently pat until absorbed.


I am very self-conscious about my routine and habits because I know most people who don't have skin issues will assume all the above is useless and probably cause more issues than it is helping. My philosophy about skincare/makeup is being gentle, use products smartly, where you need it and taking your time. Your face is not a punching bag.


And that’s my nightly routine. Yes, I know I am insane.




2 comments:

  1. I've always been a snob and thought Cetaphil was for people who do not really care about skincare. Now, I'm curious to try it, especially since it's so much cheaper than products from Sephora.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha oh lora I love the way you write

    ReplyDelete